The Power Of Gratitude
(Practices to Cultivate A Truly Grateful Week)
Take a moment each day this week to notice the sky — the changing clouds and colours. Describe what you see and experience to a friend. What new perspectives arise when you gaze at the sky?
1. Each day commit to looking directly into the face of another and simply smile without words. What happens?
2. Experiment with using only a flashlight to move through the darkness of a day/evening to truly embed appreciation for the gift of light. Consider all those who went before to make electric and battery light possible and bring to mind the millions of people around the world who don’t yet have access to electric light. How does this reflection impact you?
3. Write down something at the end of the day that describes how you left the day better than you found it. Take in the positive impact that you do and can have on our world.
4. Go for a walk and notice any natural and human-made wonders that give you a sense of “awe.” What is the impact?
5. Commit one month a year to begin each day with a grateful living practice that, no matter what, you will step into with an open heart.
Grateful Conversation Starters
A fun way to work with these questions is to write them out on little pieces of paper, fold them up and put them in a bowl. Choose a time when you are gathered with others (at the end of a meal perhaps), then pass the bowl around and invite them to pick out a piece of paper and answer the question.
1. What am I grateful about in my life right now? Why?
2. What blessings does nature offer in my life?
3. What situation is offering me the opportunity to handle it gracefully?
4. What has surprised me lately?
5. What makes me hopeful?
6. When I consider a difficult situation and the impact it had on me, can I identify an aspect of the situation (or impact) that I can feel grateful about?
7. Who inspires me? How?
8. What unexpected things have brought me gratitude?
9. What challenging situations have brought out the best in me?
10. Who might I be wrong about?
11. What act of kindness did I notice or experience today?
12. What can I commit to not taking for granted from this moment forward?
Thank you for opening your eyes and heart to truly having, and contributing to, a grateful week and a grateful world!